Tuesday, August 13, 2013

.Levi's baptism.


This past weekend Levi got baptized at church.  This is a letter from his sponsor, Zach.  It is beautiful, I thought I would share.


Over the weekend Pastor Zach and his family spent some time away in Wisconsin. It was good to see old friends, and catch up. Reason for the visit? We are sponsors of our friends' newborn son. It's been a while since I've been to church in a shirt and tie, and not in a clerical. So as the sponsor, I just stood up in front of the church, said my part: "Yes, with the help of God." Then I just watched it happen- a new baby brought into the Kingdom of God.



Sometimes, we emphasize our own work and our own lives as something "we give to God". However, that's not what I see in baptism. God took the life of little Levi for his own.  Jesus did not wait until this infant could give anything back at all. It is not a "dedication", a commitment, or a responsible and clear-headed decision. Jesus did not wait for you. He died, rose again, and instituted baptism for you long before you were born. Let's be clear, it's a rescue; and because it is a rescue there was real joy in seeing the water splashed over his head three times, and to see the sleeping child roused from his nap to open his eyes for the first time as a child of God. Welcome to the Kingdom!



Colossians 1:13 "For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves"  


Thank you Zach and Tracie for being a blessing in Levi's life, and of course ours.  We love you! 

*Being a member of the Lutheran church we believe in infant baptism.  We believe this based on many passages in the Bible.  If you have any questions let me know and I will address them (or try to at least).  Infant baptism is one way of looking at baptism.  I have many close friends who do not believe in infant baptism - yet as the body of Christ they respect what I believe, and I respect what they do.  Baptism as an infant or as an adult is not a deal breaker in my book, as long as Jesus is being taught in our homes as the true and only way of being saved.*

No comments: