Tuesday, February 28, 2012

.oh, cluck.


catching a chicken in Liberia - 
this will make more sense after you read the post.

On Sunday morning we were in Madison, WI and woke up to some tragic news.  This news is so tragic it made the front page of the Wisconsin State Journal.  You might tear up when you hear the news too....so this is your warning.

Ok I am just going to say it....... deep breath everyone....

In the past 3 years there have been 230 "orphaned" chickens in Madison, WI.

I am not joking this is serious.  These chickens were found wandering.  Homeless.  Abandoned.  With no where to go but a soup pot.  Oh, the tragedy of it all.

Luckily for these chickens a sweet woman rescued them and found homes for them all.  Luckily for these chickens the Humane Society spent $3,000 on a new coop so they could have a place to stay.  Luckily for these CHICKENS the humane society does enrichment activities with them so they can stay calm and not go suicidal.

I am not joking - this made the front page.  Top story.

Are you going mad like I am?  These are Chickens!  CHICKENS.  I love chickens.  Someday I would love to have a few.  However, when one wanders in my yard I am not going to call the police or special services to come rescue it.  I am going to eat it.... every last bite.

Am I the only one horrified by this story.  It totally makes me feel bad for our society.  I mean seriously we are calling in for backup when chickens show up "orphaned".  When 230 of them are getting adopted because they don't have a home they make top news.

Never-mind the 160+ Million Orphaned Children Worldwide.

Never-mind the 150,000 Children in US Foster Care looking for good homes.

Look out World we have orphaned chickens.

.oh, cluck. 

No comments: