Wednesday, July 13, 2011

.lets do this.


.lets do this.  Lets talk about money. In adoption it is a hard pressed subject. One of those little HUGE white elephants in the room. That everyone on the outside questions. And everyone on the inside worries thinks about.  As our home study is almost complete, it is something on the forefront of my mind.

I know that adoption is expensive. CRAZY expensive.  It is something that we think about – maybe a little to much.  It is something that adopted families have, I think, come to fear dread in the whole process.  Lets face it, asking for donations is hard it leaves you feeling vulnerable, and many times as my friend Mandie puts it - embarrassed.  

So what can families do?  Once you put your pride aside, you get to work.  I think Lauren at Love Makes a Family summarized it pretty well the other day.  I will lead you to her post on how to raise funds.  In the post she talks about yard sales, starting a shop, applying for grants and more.  In addition to all of her wonderful ideas you can also partner up with shops that already exist.  If you are not crafty yourself or don't feel like you have time to commit to a shop you can partner with shops like Hannah James!  

Although fundraising is scary it is also amazing to see God work.  I have witnessed huge amounts given in adoptions before and I have felt the joy myself when we were able to give.  I know that joy comes from Christ alone. I hope people can view our adoption as a way to share the love of Christ. Whether that be through encouragement, prayer, or financial support.  

Through all of our ups and downs of fundraising I keep reminding myself of 1 Corinthians 12:27. There Paul writes, “All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it.” Together, as the church, we are called to care for the orphans and the widows (James 1:27).  I am in awe of how God has worked in our lives so far through this adoption, how His people gave to us.  And I know He will continue to surprise us along the way. 

If you're an adopting family, I just want to encourage you that God does move mountains.  And the truth is He already has.  If He has truly put this on your heart then you should not worry, and neither should I. If you know someone who is adopting please consider donating to help them.  Yes finances are a big hurdle to get over.  Yes fundraising is a lot of work.  But when I am holding the child God destined to be in our family I will say - it was all worth the cost.  .lets do this. 

Please visit our fundraising page to learn how you can help.
Or just simply donate
As always, thank you for your support!

2 comments:

Future Mama said...

AMEN! Beautifully said friend.

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

Mandie M. said...

You got it girl :)! Our children are worth the sacrifice of our pride!