Tuesday, May 3, 2011

.african floral shirt.

.african floral shirt.  Oh, she is at it again.  Mrs. Rae is holding her spring top sew along!  I believe this is her third year, and every year I am amazed by all the wonderful shirts that are made by everyone.  I have always wanted to participate, but two years ago I had an infant, and last year we were moving.  This year I dropped all other projects to get at least one shirt done.
While I was in Liberia I was in love, LOVE, L-O-V-E with buying lappas - African fabric.  Their fabrics are gorgeous and I became addicted to buying them.  Seriously, wherever we went my eyes were looking for these beautiful fabrics.  I bought a bunch and had high ambitions to make a quilt when I came home - that did not happen, yet.  Most of the lappas I bought are cotton, for the quilt.  Except for one - this African floral fabric is a poplin wax and feels like silk.  And it is perfect for a shirt.
The shirt I made was based off from another shirt that I have in my closet, and love.  I did not use a pattern or draft a pattern at all.  I just traced the amount of fabric needed from the shirt - with room for sewing.  That way of cutting fabric worked well enough, but next time I might just trace a pattern out first.
Overall I like the way it turned out.  I love this fabric and am glad I can finally wear it around.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a little tight near the armpit area.  Now I know to trace a lot bigger there for next time.
 If you want to participate in the spring top sew along you have until Monday (May 9th, 2011) to enter up to three shirts.  Or you can just check out all the other lovely tops on the flickr page.  .african floral shirt.

1 comment:

Anna of IHOD said...

Wow Desiree I am impressed!
Love the print and cut of the shirt!
I am hoping to get more familiar with my sewing machine this summer:)