Wednesday, February 23, 2011

.a thousand sisters.

.a thousand sisters.  If you want a book that is eye-opening, then A Thousand Sisters is it.  I am only a third of the way through and already I feel the need to do more.  The book is about the ongoing war in the Congo.  Yes I said ongoing.  Many people do not know of the injustice women there face daily.  Although there is less bloodshed, there is still a battle being fought.  A battle that women must brave through.  Congolese women are still facing mass rapes and their voice is often unheard.  Their stories are tearing my heart apart and I want to help my sisters on the other side of this globe.
In A Thousand Sisters Lisa felt the same way, the same tug, when she learned about the Congolese women.  And she did  more.  She raised money.  She started Run for Congo Women to sponsor sisters through Women for Women International.  She went to Congo to visit her sisters.  Then she wrote about her story to let others know more.  She is an activist fighting for women, some she will never meet.  Lisa Shannon is a hero in my book.  She felt the tug and stepped up to make a difference.  As Christine, WFWI Congo programme director, says, "One woman can change anything.  Many women can change everything." 
Please join me in sharing this story with other women, and men too.  Because together we have the opportunity to help our sisters in the Congo, and in other war torn areas of the world.  Also, consider sponsoring a sister in a war torn area, or consider joining a run for the Congo women.  We, my family, are signing up this week to sponsor a sister.  I am more then thrilled to get to know my sister through writing; I want to hear her story and send her words of hope and encouragement.  I want one more woman to know that there are people who care.  Every woman deserves to know they are loved.  .a thousand sisters.
*Women for Women International provides women survivors of war, civil strife and other conflicts with the tools and resources to move from crisis and poverty to stability and self-sufficiency, thereby promoting viable civil societies.  They are changing the world one woman at a time. *  - taken from WFWI website.

More links on this specific issue:
Women for Women International
Run for Congo Women
A Thousand Sisters

1 comment:

Future Mama said...

Oh boy...this looks like one of those books that would make me bawl the whole way through! Right now I have the Hole in our Gospel next to my bed but have yet to crack it...terrible, I know! Why does ignorance have to be so darn blissful? This post has encouraged me to start reading tonight...

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/