Tuesday, January 11, 2011

.so... what do you do?.

.so... what do you do?.  Yesterday, I ran into a childhood acquaintance of mine.  I went to school with this guy from elementary school all the way through high school.  I probably have not seen him since graduation day.  In fact I know I have not.  He is now my bank manager. 
 
  He came over to talk to me as a formality, I think, and the regular questions followed.  How have you been?  Where do you live?  Do you like it there?... Then we came to the dreaded question.  So, what do you do?  Honestly, I never know what to say in these situations.  How do I tell someone in a quick response that I take care of two children, change so many diapers a day, cook meals every night, clean (as best as possible), change countless diapers a day, write a blog a couple times a week, change diapers, own & run a small etsy shop, fund raise money for our adoption, create what I sell & make it, and change diapers.  I mean I don't think there is a title for all of what I do, besides mom. 
 
  How do I respond to this, "I stay at home, I am a mom of two".  I don't know about you, but I think people assume I sit and eat bon-bons all day and do nothing.  Because, when your job title is "stay at home mom" people judge quickly.  I know because I used to be one of those people.  They never say anything directly to you.  But they say it in their mannerisms and with their body language.
 
  But let me tell you something.  This is a reminder to myself as well.  Your title does not define who you are.  Because even with all the diaper changing, book reading, song singing, food feeding I am more then "just a mom".  .so... what do you do?.

If your a stay at home mom, do you feel this way too?  What do you do?  How do you answer this question?

4 comments:

Brian Gauthier said...

I don't think there's a more commendable vocation than a 'stay at home mom'. The world could use a lot more moms like you. Keep it up!

janimal said...

I think that lots of people have preconceived notions about what both stay at home moms and what working moms do. I say who cares? What I do doesn't define me, nor does someone else's perception of what I do.

For me personally, I give a short answer and then get more interested in the other person's profession. People love to talk about themselves, and I like to hear about their world than blab about mine. (I have a blog for that!)

Janice said...

I work full time and am a grandmother. I worked outside the home while my 3 boys were growing up and I regret that I did not adjust my lifestyle to match one income. To have someone who is the caretaker of the home and family is such a tremendous job. It makes everyone's life more enjoyable and less stressful. It is such an important job and vocation. Be proud of it. If I were you I would say " I am a mom!" "Would you like to see a picture of my kids?" Be proud and bold in knowing you are doing something that is so needed today.

Silver Strands said...

When I hear "stay at home mom" I am truly impressed. Best job in the world AND truly, hardest job in the the world. I say: shout it out and be proud of it!
oxoxo
Denalee