Friday, November 5, 2010

.cheesecake.

.cheesecake.  My husband works for Quad Graphics, a printing company.  They print a whole slew of magazines.  One of the perks of him working there is the fact that he randomly brings home magazines.  This month I have received a handful of cooking ones.  The Cheesecakes & More edition from Taste of Home is hands down my favorite magazine he has brought home so far.  It is amazing to look through, AMAZING!!! I mean every single cheesecake looks so good, so good.
Because I had all these new recipes, and because they all look delicious, I decided to make a cheesecake.  I have never made one before and I was not exactly sure how hard or easy it would be to make.  After making one, I think I might be a bit addicted.  It was easier then I thought and I will definitely be making more in the future. 
I followed the recipe for Chocolate-Covered Cheesecake Squares.  Which is basically an original cheesecake cut up and covered in chocolate.  The recipe is simple enough and I am sure that variations of this scrumptious dessert will be made in the future. 
I thought that the hardest part of this recipe was cutting the cheesecake into 49 little squares.  At first I didn't exactly know how I was going to do that to a frozen cheesecake.  And I thought it would all fall apart.  Thankfully it did not.
I modified the recipe slightly.  For the crust I did not add the chopped pecans because I forgot to buy them.  I also did not cover each piece completely with chocolate.  I did not have enough patience to sit and dip each square in the chocolate & nether did Miss. L who was helping me. 
Instead, I lined up each square on the waxed paper and I poured the chocolate over them. This made the final step much faster. And I am pretty sure they taste the same, they just look a little funky with chocolate streaks. Thank you Esther Neustaeter from Alberta!  I will be making these again for sure.  .cheesecake.

*note: I did not take a picture of the final product.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO MAKE:
Yield: 49 squares
CRUST:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup butter, melted

FILLING:
2 packages (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs, lightly eaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

COATING:
24 ounces semisweet chocolate
3 tablespoons shortening

1.Line a 9 inch square baking pan with foil and grease the foil.  In a small bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, pecans and butter.  Press into prepared pan; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and sour cream until smooth.  Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour over crust.

3. Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until center is almost set.  Cool on a wire rack.  Refrigerate until chilled.  Freeze overnight.

4. In a microwave, melt the chocolate and the shortening; stir until smooth.  Cool slightly. *I melted mine on the stove, as I have had horrible past experiences melting chocolate in the microwave.

5. Using foil, lift cheesecake out of pan.  Gently peel off foil; cut into 49 squares.  Remove a few pieces at a time for dipping; keep remaining squares refrigerated until ready to dip.

6. Using a toothpick, completely dip squares, one at a time, in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off.  Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; spoon about 1 teaspoon chocolate over each.  (Reheat chocolate if needed to finish dipping.)  Let stand for 20 minutes or until set.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.

No comments: