Tuesday, September 7, 2010

.call me crazy.

.call me crazy.  Friday I thought it would be a good idea to start a sewing project.  I know.  One week away from my due date, I layed three yards of fabric on the floor and started to cut out pattern pieces for another mariposa dress (which is found in Anna Maria Horners Handmade Beginnings Book).  I wanted one more for when the baby comes, because this style dress will be perfect to nurse in.  Aaron gave me time to work on it Saturday & Sunday without that many interruptions from Miss L.  It was nice to sew again & I am glad that with my time I got it done.  Minus the hem, that I am waiting to do after the baby is born.
I made the dress with some adjustments that I learned from the last time.  I made the modesty panel taller with shorter straps.  This actually worked out quite well and the top fits better then the first dress I made, and I don't have to use pins to hold the panel in place.  I also wanted a long dress for fall, so I made the length about 20 inches longer and as wide as I could make it.  This length seems perfect & although I still have to hem it am pretty sure it was the exact right amount. 
The fabric I used is from Ikea.  I bought three yards last fall & have been meaning to make it into this dress since the last time I made the mariposa dress.  I am not sure that I am in love with the print & will probably make a solid fabric one next time, but it will be perfect for fall.  Call me CRAZY but I got it done and am excited to wear it in the near future.  .call me crazy.

2 comments:

Mahalo said...

Lovely!! I love Anna's book, and it's so nice to see this dress finished by someone outside the book. It looks great! We've been following your blog for a while now, so sweet.
Blessings to you and your growing family :)

Silver Strands said...

So pretty! but YUP - you're crazy :)
oxoxo
Denalee