Tuesday, August 10, 2010

.a confession.

.a confession.  I have had a hard time reading my Bible lately.  since we moved to be honest.  I use to be in a routine of reading it, alternating between good Christian books and books of the Bible.  Lately it has been nothing.  This is due to the lack of discipline in my own spiritual life.  I can blame it on moving, having a toddler, being pregnant, etc, etc.  But to be honest, everyday I make the choice to read or not - and lately it has been the latter.

On Sunday, our pastor talked about how we need to be disciplined in our own spiritual lives in order to pass the same values to our children.  In being disciplined, He talked about how we all need it, how it gives hope & encouragement, how it is a sign of love, and how even though discipline is not pleasant or easy it does bring righteousness and peace.  The sermon really convicted me and showed me that I need to take time out, every single day, in order to obey God, in order to pray, in order to maintain my relationship with Him.

It is so easy to stop reading the Bible, to let one day change to two, let one week turn into four.  It is so easy to say I need to clean my house, I need to catch up on my emails, I need to craft.  And then, suddenly you find yourself not reading at all, you feel lost.  Almost ashamed to start reading the Bible again.

Let me tell you a secret though, God forgives and forgets.

If you have stopped reading the Bible, or never started,  I am encouraging you to pick it up again today.  God lets us start over, how amazing His grace and love is, AMAZING.  .a confession.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17

*How do you stay disciplined in your faith walk?
*Is it easy for you? Or is it something you struggle with too?
*Do you have any great Christian books or devotions to share?

6 comments:

Shana said...

This is a very good post. Thank you for reminding me to stop and take time and make time for my Bible.

affectioknit said...

I definitely know what you mean - I read my Bible at night - right before bed and it is so easy to say I'm too tire...

Pattie said...

You couldn't be more right here. After things started going on in my life I was so focused on my "need to get things done" that I put down my true support.

I have been working on getting back into the groove of praying and reading my bible, especially now that I am having a little one and I want to show that discipline you mentioned :)

Thanks for the extra nudge in the right direction.

lisawith4 said...

Great post and reminder. God's grace is unfailing and awesome!
My kids and I started reading together through the book of Acts and Psalms. They keep me on track with our reading because they don't want to miss it. It's been such a blessing for our family.

Melissa said...

Yes! So true.

Have you seen the new Bible study At the Well? The topic is cultivating a personal private time with the Lord. If you're interested, you can join in here:
http://www.titus2atthewell.com/your-personal-quiet-time

taralynn819 said...

That photo alone makes me want to read my Bible right now!!