Wednesday, July 28, 2010

.little gifts, wine sleeves.

.little gifts, wine sleeves.  I always ask my family what they want for their Birthdays and Christmas.  That way they get what they want or need and I don't have to see disappointment in their face if I give a bad gift.  I usually don't ask my sister Hilary because we are so similar in taste that if I like it so will she. In general this has worked out.  This year my mom told me she wanted wine for Christmas.  Since I don't drink wine and have no clue what is good, I went to the store with a specific list of what my mom likes and I also asked a guy who worked there for help.  Hopefully she will like what I picked out. 

With wine being my subject matter, I wanted to dress up the bottles a bit.  A couple years ago one of my Aunts gave us a bottle of wine for Christmas with a fancy wine sleeve on it.  So, I decided to make a bunch of wine sleeves to go with the bottles.  The sleeves are made from old sweaters that are no longer in use & worked perfect for this project.  .little gifts, wine sleeves.

Here is the step by step, (it looks long but it's not - I promise):

To make wine sleeves you need: an old sweater, a sewing machine, marker (optional) & thread.

1. Gather your materials and thread your sewing machine. 
2. Take a sleeve from your sweater and measure from end down roughly 12 inches. 
*If your working from the mid section of a sweater measure out a piece that is 12" long and 8 1/2" wide.
*all pictures are labeled with coordinating step number.

3. Cut sweater sleeve straight across at the 12 inch mark. 
*If working from a mid-section cut 12" by 8 1/2" piece and sew down the long side, making it 12" by 4".
4. (optional) Draw a semi circle where you just cut, this will be the bottom of the wine sleeve.
5. Sew the semi circle by either tracing what you drew or by eyeballing it.
6. Trim excess fabric.
7. Take the flat piece and find the middle of the bottom, lining up the ends.  This will make a bulge, just try to make it as flat as possible. 
8. Sew a straight line across, roughly 3/4" from longest point.  This is to make the bottom flatter. 
9. Trim excess fabric.
10. Flip inside out & place on wine bottle.  Enjoy!

*If there is bulging at the bottom of the sleeve, after placing it on wine bottle,  you may need to sew up the side a bit to make it straight all the way up.  This usually happens on looser fitting and larger sweaters.

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

What a great idea - I love it!

slmpetersen said...

Great idea! I found you through One Pretty Thing! And tweeted this great idea!

Brandy @ The Moody Fashionista said...

So fun! Thanks for sharing!