Wednesday, June 9, 2010

.mariposa dress.

.mariposa dress.  Last month Aaron & Lydia got me Anna Maria Horner's new book, New Beginnings, for my Birthday.  My first project was the scrappy nap pillow that now resides in our glider.  I loved making the pillow, as it truly used up a lot of my scraps.  This month I vowed to make the mariposa dress, because I would like more maternity dresses and because of sew mama sew's make it wear it challenge.  The past couple days I have spent the majority of my free time in my craft room making it.... and am finally done! 

There are a couple of steps I moved around and a couple things I will remember for nest time. 
1. I did not do step 27, fold back bodice seam allowance toward the wrong side on both shoulders, so that the raw edge meets the stitch line from step 26, and top stitch across, because I could not for the life of me figure out what the heck it meant and I thought it was irrelevant since that part is not showing anyways. 
2. I hemmed the sleeves before I stitched down the sides, it just made more sense to me because then I had a straight line and didn't have to worry about sewing around a tiny circle.
3. I hemmed the bottom up more then what the pattern called for, because I don't think its possible to turn fabric 1/8" up with my hands... I changed it to 1/4" and that was still tough. 
4. The final fit is great except the modesty panel, that I will need to cinch up.  Next time I will make it a little larger all the way around with shorter straps. 
*addition: after wearing the dress for half a day, I think I need to make the smaller version... not patterns fault - purely mine.
All in all I am pleased with the way it turned out and I can't wait to wear it out in public!  I love the fact that I will be able to nurse in this dress after the baby is born... Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I needed a blanket to cover my whole body because I had to take a dress completely off or pulled up all the way when nursing Lydia.  I love that I have options to tie the dress in the front or back - I feel more comfortable with it tied in back, but also love the look of the cute bow in front.  I also like that I can make it as a shirt or dress, I will definitely make this again and hope to have a stash of them lined up for fall.  Thanks Anna Maria!  .mariposa dress.

7 comments:

Silver Strands said...

WOW! Great job - and super cute Desiree!
oxoxox
Denalee

Anna Maria said...

You are welcome :)

and you look beautiful- congrats!
xo,Anna

Anonymous said...

I love it, you look beyond cute, good job, seems like yesterday we were just making your prom dress!
xoxo, susan hart(jessica's mom)

Desiree said...

Thank you everyone. Susan - I totally forgot about making the prom dress... .so this is the second dress I made that I will wear. If I could go back to high school and remake all my clothes I think I would. :)

Amanda said...

I LOVE this! Is the fabric knit?

Desiree said...

It is made with a knit and cotton blend.... not sure on the percentages.

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

It looks wonderful! I'm planning to make that dress. Thanks for your notes!